.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>
My Socks Are on Fire!
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
  This is What I Did
A review of sorts.

Last night I went to the library to drop off all of the books I picked up over the course of the semester. As an Honors student, I can check out books for the entire semester instead of the typical two weeks or whatever it is. Because of this, I get books and they accumulate in my room and at the end of every semester I load up my backpack and drop them all off. I went with the intention of not getting anything else, because I would have to return it so soon. Despite my intentions I went up to the second floor where they have DVDs. I browsed through the selection seeing many that I wanted to watch, but finally settled on Hitchcock's Vertigo As I was walking to the door I spotted a green book on the new and popular shelf. It was called This is What I Did by Ann Dee Ellis. without really thinking about it I picked it up and before I knew what happened I had checked it out, in addition to the movie. AS I was walking out of the Library, I told myself that I would just have to return it with the movie without reading it, because I was leaving before it was due.

I walked back to my dorm and when I pulled out my cellphone I noticed that I had received, within two minutes of each other, a phone call and a text message. The Text was from Karol who wanted to rehearse for our Shakespeare scene, and the phone call was from “Ruth.” (Mom, you may want to stop reading here.) You may have noticed a few posts back that I mentioned talking to Claire in her car for about an hour on Sunday. This was a potential dilemma. On the one hand I needed to rehearse, as we hadn't actually done that and our scene was today. On the other hand, I wanted to see where, if anywhere, things were going with “Ruth”. I know she's nice, and I certainly find her attractive, but it is way too early to say in there's potential for something there. What can I say? I called her back, and ignored the text. She was on campus and wanted to know if I wanted my Arabic paper back.

Side story: About a week ago, I found a pink post-it note on the ground by the math building. On it was written what looks like somebody's to do list and a few lines of what is definitely not English. I picked it up and put it on my wallet. Later I showed it to Sara, thinking it may be Hebrew, which she studies. She told me it looked like Arabic and I should show it to “Ruth” (who is minoring in Arabic.) I showed it to “Ruth” and she couldn't decipher it, because the handwriting was really bad. After more pestering, she agreed to show it to her professor. I gave her the note and she told me she would get back to me.

We rejoin our main story currently in progress. She was willing to drop it off and asked what I was up to. I said I was just putting Vertigo into my DVD player (which I was,) and would she like to join me in watching it? She said that she would, and I said to myself that Shakespeare could wait. (Sorry Karol) I hadn't seen the movie in a really long time and didn't really remember what it was about. “Ruth” said she hadn't seen it before, but then she remembered that she had and that the ending was bad. I wouldn't call the ending bad, but it was certainly a bit of a shocker.

After the movie, “Ruth” left and I went to bed.

Today I met Karol before the final and we practiced our scene and it went pretty well. BTW, practice should be spelled with an 's.' After my scene I went to a local costume shop looking for a pair of nice fake glasses, but they didn't have any that were of any real quality. I stopped in at an antique shop and had a lot of fun looking at all the stuff they had.

Did I just say I enjoyed going antiquing? What is going on?

Anyway, after antiquing, I came back to my room and hung out for a while. I decided to take back the DVD and book to the library. As I was putting the DVD in my backpack, I saw that green cover again. I pulled the book out and decided to just read a little bit, besides the library is open 24 hours right now.

That was a little before eight. Two hors later I have finished it and it was good. It is written in a very particular style. Very short sentences, one line per sentence, and with the dialog written like in a playscript. I don't want to talk about the plot very much, because it is all interwoven and unfolds as you read it. I really identified with the protagonist and felt so bad for him as he struggled. Something that was really awesome was that between each part was a silhouette of various things pertaining to the story. Imagine my surprise when one of them was Mike and the Robots from Mystery Science Theater 3000.

If you know what MST3k is, you'll think that this is awesome, if you're not then you should be.

I checked and the library closed at eight tonight so I'll have to get up early to turn the book and DVD back in.

I now have to finish packing to go home.

I recognized her face.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

 
Comments: Post a Comment


This is just one man's blog. You will read about my life and what happens therein. Will it change your life? No. Should you read it? Probably not.

I guess this is a good a time as any to welcome any intrepid readers that have stumbled here from facebook. It should be noted that there is some heavy stuff that gets posted here. I should also note that this blog is about me and my outlook. This is one of the few places where I am 100 percent honest. That's not to say that my feelings don't change. What I wrote here three years ago is very different than what I felt three weeks ago, and that is decidedly different that what I felt three days ago. So intrepid readers, I invite you to comb through the archives, but be warned, if we know each other you might be mentioned, I might have used a pseudonym I might not have. Any thing on here is something that I deem worthy to posted on the netterwebs. That means it's important to me. If something I post here bothers you that's OK. But rarely (read:never) will I edit previous posts. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. I may not be proud of what I put out here but I mean it. If you want to talk about it go ahead, I have comment links for all of the posts, or you can just ask me about in the real world. If it's here it's fair game for discussion.

Everything here is the intellectual property of the owner unless otherwise indicated. Steal it and I will have my posse of legal students attack you face. There is no fair use of it, just stealing. If you want to quote me, ask first.


Woot! Links!
dull men
Sluggy Freelance
Penny Arcade
Digg
Moxy Fruvous
I can Has Cheesburger?
Found/b>

ARCHIVES
February 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / February 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 /






Powered by Blogger